I have learned some smart decorating tips over the years and want to share them with you. I wish I would have known these things at the beginning of my own decorating journey. They would have saved money and time, along with enjoying a more balanced looking space. Nowadays you can look online for anything to get your creativity going. And that is where I’ll start with smart decorating tips.
If you want to do something different with your space and not exactly sure what, but you know it’s time to do something, then get inspired by visiting model homes and take pictures of the décor ideas you like. Kids love to do this too. We go as a family adventure, and smart model homes serve freshly baked cookies. The kids would say this is my room or this is your room. But I am able to get ideas and duplicate them with a twist. The twist being, I wanted to create the same idea but at a price I could afford.
Another smart decorating tip to get inspired is to search online images of what you are thinking of within your personal style; living rooms, bedrooms, window treatments, stairways, etc. When I have a project I’m working on I gather the images that interest me and copy and paste them into a document so I can see them as a whole. Create a vision for what you want to accomplish. You can get very close to the same look repurposing what you already have, buying from discount stores, arts and craft stores and even thrift stores.
Painting is the fastest way to transform and freshen any room in your space quickly. Update the look of your space with a fresh paint color. Painting trim or cabinets can completely change the look of your space. My daughter bought her first home. It was a nice home with good bones, but she wanted to make it her own, so she painted the walls, trim and doors. Within one day she transformed the entire look of a room and made it look current and fresh like a model home. Painting makes a huge difference right out of the gate.
If you aren’t up for painting an entire room, paint an accent wall in the space and add some “Pop” to your room. Make sure your accent wall color coordinates with an accent color in some of your accessories and is the same tone family as your current wall color.
Painting accessories can change the look of a room too. Tie everything together with color. I have even painted a washer and dryer. They were white and had been moved many times and were pretty scratched up. I thought, I can’t make them look any worse, so I painted them with a swirling gray color design. Yeah, it sounds nuts, but I had people come over to see my washer and dryer because they looked so great. Because I painted them, they actually became a focal point in my over sized laundry/storage room.
Other Great Tips
- Hang your drapes or curtains all the way up to the ceiling to add a more dramatic presentation. It also makes the ceiling look higher.
- When buying living room furniture, go with a solid colored sofa and patterned chairs.
- Use what you have by repurposing items; paint older accessories a new color.
- Keep your older accent pillows but put on a new pillow cover for a fresh look.
- Thrift store finds can give a collected over time look to your space.
- Furniture doesn’t have to match. Mismatched pieces in your space are okay as long as they have a cohesive look.
- Artificial flowers in mixed containers are a great way to bring color into your space and you don’t have to water them.
- Placing color throughout the room causes the eyes to move around and enjoy the space.
- Clock walls are a fun focal wall.
- Pillows and throws make a space cozy.
- Painting a frame a new color changes the look of the picture.
- Rugs are a great way to cover up less than perfect floors.
- AMAZON is a great GO TO for affordable shopping.
To wrap it up…..
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” —Theodore Roosevelt.
Sharing decorating tips is what I like to do. It saves time and money and helps give your space a fresh look. You can do a little at a time, or all at once. It’s up to you and what your budget allows. Even with no budget you can transform your space by rearranging things. Just go for it. I’m sure you will feel proud of yourself for trying and you might be surprised at how well you decorate.